Legends of Ontario Sailing Award
In an effort to recognize the great history of sailing in this province, Ontario Sailing is proud to present the Legends of Ontario Sailing Award … “Honouring the Past to Inspire the Future”
The inaugural year for the award was 2010, during the Ontario Sailing Celebration of Sailing – Ruby Gala. The award will be presented each year during Ontario Sailing’s annual fundraising gala.
To acknowledge and recognize the outstanding contribution of an individual or a group of individuals who through his/her and/or their efforts have inspired participation in the recreational and/or competitive sport of sailing in Canada.
- A Canadian or Canadians whose primary residence is in Ontario.
- Someone who has contributed a minimum of 10 years to the activity for which he and/or she has been nominated.
- Someone who has demonstrated leadership and/or innovation in the activity for which he and/or she has been nominated.
- Someone who has donated significant time and energy to improve the quality of and/or participation in the recreational and/or competitive sport of sailing.
- Present members of the Canadian Sailing Team
- Present members of the Ontario Sailing Team
- Anyone currently holding a board position with Ontario Sailing
- Nomination Criteria must be followed … Click Here for Complete List of Nomination Criteria
- Nominations must be submitted by completing a 2015 Legends Award Nomination Form
- Members of the Selection Committee may not submit a nomination form
- All completed NOMINATION FORMS must be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to Ontario Sailing, by the deadline, as follows:
Via Post: Ontario Sailing, 70 Unsworth Drive, Unit 17, Hamilton, ON L8W 3K4
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of the Selection Committee will review all nominations. Nominations will be rated against the nomination criteria
Committee members may contact nominees, nominators and supporters to confirm nominee information.
Deadline for submissions is 4pm ET on Wednesday, February 25, 2015.
It is hoped that award recipient(s) will be able to attend the awards ceremony and participate in pre-event media and promotion of the awards ceremony, as required. The Legends of Ontario Sailing Award will be presented as part of the Ontario Sailing Celebration of Sailing Gala on Saturday, April 11, 2015 at The Oakville Club, Oakville.
For more information, please contact Ontario Sailing at 1-888-672-7245 ext.221.
PREVIOUS AWARD RECIPIENTS:
The 2014 recipient of the Legends of Ontario Sailing Award is John Osborn. More information on the 2014 Recipient – John Osborn
The 2013 recipients of the Legends of Ontario Sailing Award are the “The 12 Founders of CORK”: Roger Green, Bill Cox, Paul Henderson, Lynn Watters, Sandy McPherson, Bart Dalton, Cam Jones, George Goodfellow, Russ Scrim, Harry Jemmett, Jack Orgill and Doug Keary. More information on the 2013 Recipients – The 12 Founders of CORK
The 2012 recipients of the Legends of Ontario Sailing Award are the “Ontario-Based, Canadian Flag-Bearing, Olympic Medal Winners”: Terry Neilson, Terry McLaughlin, Hans Fogh, John Kerr, Steve Calder, Frank McLaughlin, John Millen, and Mike Wolfs. More information on the 2012 Recipients – Ontario-Based, Canadian Flag-Bearing, Olympic Medal Winners
The 2011 recipients of the Legends of Ontario Sailing Award are the “Builders of C&C Yachts”: Rob Ball, Erich Bruckmann, George Cassian, George Cuthbertson, George Hinterhoeller and Ian Morch. More information on the 2011 Recipients – The Builders of C&C Yachts
The recipients for the first year of the award were the brave crews of Evergreen (RHYC) and Magistri (RCYC) that survived and endured the great storms that hit the 1979 Fastnet race. Many of the crew members and their loved ones were in attendance and some incredible stories were shared from their experience. More information on the 2010 Recipients – Evergreen & Magistri