Ontario Sailing values the long term health of all sailors. As such, we have a comprehensive Concussion Management and Return to Sport Policy and associated procedures.
We have been working closely with current research and national sport and concussion related groups to ensure our policies are up to date and address concerns specific to sailing. The policy and procedures that were passed by our Board of Directors represent countless hours of staff work and consultation.
The policy addresses the four main components from Rowan’s Law:
- Education and Awareness
- Concussion Codes of Conduct for participants as well as leaders
- Removal from Sport Protocols
- Return to Sport Protocols
Our policies and procedures are being implemented for all ages and all participants recognizing the potential effects of head injuries. The health and safety of everyone involved with Ontario Sailing is of upmost importance.
Government of Ontario – Ministry Approved Concussion Awareness Resources
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 10 and under (Booklet)
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 11 to 14 (Booklet)
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 15 and up (Booklet)
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 10 and under (Video)
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 11 to 14 (Video)
- Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 15 and up (Video)
More information can be found at https://www.ontario.ca/page/rowans-law-concussion-awareness-resources
Other Supporting Documents:
Under Rowan’s Law, every sport organization will need to ensure they have policies and procedures in place to address concussion management. Ontario Sailing is strongly encouraging all our member clubs and schools to adopt Ontario Sailing Concussion Management Policy and Procedures. By having everyone adopt one policy, we can ensure consistency across the province which will be key at regattas but also with instructor training and ensuring legislative compliance for each organization.
For clubs and schools looking for more information about their own Concussion Policies and Procedures, please contact Lisa Roddie, COAST Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).