TOPIC 4: External Prerequisites (offered through providers external to Ontario Sailing and Sail Canada)
Submit proof of all external prerequisites to Ontario Sailing, except for Enhanced Police Background Checks, which should be sent to Sail Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What type of first aid/CPR certification is acceptable for dinghy instructors?
- Sail Canada requires dinghy instructors to have Standard First Aid with CPR-C, earned through a course that includes at least 13 hours of instruction. Courses offered entirely online are not accepted. Examples of providers include The Canadian Red Cross, The Lifesaving Society and St. John Ambulance.
What is a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)?
Information from Transport Canada is available HERE.
Do I need a police background check? How do I get one? Where do I send it?
- Sail Canada requires an Enhanced Police Information Check for all instructors aged 18 and older. Sail Canada will accept police checks completed through Sterling Backcheck (click HERE) or through your local police station.
- Important: If an instructor turns 18 during the sailing season after they have already registered with Sail Canada for the year, they must provide a police check to Sail Canada for their instructor profile to remain in good standing.
- For questions about police checks or to submit one for your profile, contact email@example.com.
What is Safe Sport Training?
- All instructors must complete Safe Sport Training program every 5 years and submit proof of completion to Ontario Sailing or Sail Canada. There are two Safe Sport Training options: EITHER The Coaching Association of Canada’s Safe Sport online module available free through The Locker, free of charge HERE OR Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders, offered by Respect Group for $25 HERE.
*For more information on The Locker and how to use it, see FAQ topic 8.