In 2017, the CORK Results Team successfully scored over 280 races and published results for more than 840 boats in 33 classes or fleets in eight events. To help build skills and capacity for the coming season, CORK is seeking volunteers to join the Results Team!
As in 2017, CORK is offering two free training workshops in 2018.
Basic Scoring — July 4-5, 2018 (Wednesday&Thursday 6-8 p.m.)
Basic Scoring will be of interest to those who want to learn how to use Sailwave– a Windows-based results/scoring application used by many regatta organizers in Canada and around the world. Basic Scoring will also be of interest to those who plan to volunteer to do results and need a scoring refresher before the CORK event. The workshop will include:
- Introduction to CORK’s Scoring System, Sailwave and the Results Team’s role and responsibilities including setting-up a series of races
- Hands-on experience entering actual finish data (received from Race Officers during Day 1 of the Viper 640 North American Championship) into Sailwave; publishing on the CORK website; posting results on the official notice board, and; handling scoring changes after results are published
CORK’s Chief Scorer, Christine Searle will be leading this workshop.Participants will be expected to bring their own laptops loaded with the latest version of Sailwave. Familiarity with sailing and Windows will help optimize the learning experience.
Advanced Scoring —July 7-8, 2018 (Saturday &Sunday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
Advanced Scoring will be of interest to scorers who want to learn how to score a qualifying & final series (flights and fleets) for events with large numbers of competitors such as Optimists. The workshop will include:
- Setting-up flights and resetting during the qualifying series
- Setting-up fleets for the final series
- Trouble-shooting common issues that happen, e.g. re-scoring qualifying series after the final series, moving a boat from Silver to Gold, creating new flights based on incomplete previous races, etc.
Peter van Muyden– an experienced International Race Officer with extensive skills using Sailwave to score regattas according to the Racing Rules of Sailing will lead this workshop. Participants will be expected to bring their own laptops loaded with the latest version of Sailwave. Experience setting-up and scoring a series of races using Sailwave is a pre-requisite to this workshop.
While there is no fee charged for the 2018 workshops, participants are expected to sign-up to score at one of the following CORK events:
|Vipers 640 North American Championship||July 5-8|
|Laser Master Canadian Championship||July 6-8|
|International Optimist & International Boards||August 10-12|
|CORK International & 29er North American Championship||August 14-17|
|CORK Olympic Classes Regatta & Sail Canada Senior Championship||August 18-21|
|J-24 Canadian Championship||August 18-21|
|CORK Fall Regatta, Ontario Sailing Combine & 505 Canadian Championship||September 22-23|
So please consider our offer and join the Results Team! To register for a workshop or sign-up for an event, click on these links on the CORK website:
Register for a workshop – http://www.cork.org/volunteer-training-opportunities/
Sign-up to volunteer for the Results Team – http://www.cork.org/volunteering/
CLICK HERE for Roles & Responsibilities.