Rebuilding the Results Team
CORK’s vision is to be recognized as the preferred provider of multi-class regattas in the largest freshwater sailing facility in the world. Following discussions with Sail Canada early in 2017, CORK embarked on a special project to develop a reliable Sailwave-based scoring system that could be adapted for use at any multi-class regatta in Canada. This project has three interconnected components:
- CORK Scoring Guide – details on the roles and responsibilities of members of the Results Team before, during and at the end of a CORK multi-class regatta
- Results Team Recruiting – promotion and advertising (e.g. articles in Club newsletters and on various websites) to attract volunteers to the Results Team who would commit to gaining practical scoring experience at a CORK event
- Results Team Training – workshops and seminars to help the Results Team learn how to use Sailwave including functions such as: set-up a regatta, score races, deal with scoring inquiries and jury decisions, and manage split flights/fleets (i.e. qualifying and final series)
In mid-April 2017, fourteen volunteers participated in a CORK/Sailwave training workshop at the Kingston Yacht Club (KYC) – an important milestone for rebuilding the CORK Results Team. Participants were introduced to the CORK Scoring Guide, participated in four hands-on scoring scenarios, and several made a commitment to volunteer at a CORK event in 2017 to put their knowledge into practice.
Basic Sailwave Training Opportunities
In August 2017, CORK’s Chief Scorer, Christine Searle and IRO Peter van Muyden will provide hands-on mentoring and guidance at three multi-course, multi-class events:
- Laser Canadians, International Optimists & Boards – Aug. 10-13
- CORK International, 29er NA Championship, i420 Canadians – Aug. 13-17
- CORK Olympic Competitions Regatta, Sail Canada Senior Championships – Aug.18-24
We are inviting volunteers to fill some gaps on the Results Team for the following dates:
- August 11, 2017 from 12 noon-5pm
- August 14 & 15, 2017 from 12 noon-5pm
- August 17 & 18 from 12 noon-5pm
CORK is offering this training for free and in return, all we ask for a willingness to join CORK’s Results Team for future opportunities. In return, you gain a skill that you can use at your home club or take on the road to other events.