Ontario Sailing Looking for BOOM Instructors!
Position: Sailing Instructors – BOOM & Access BOOM
Type of Position: FULL TIME SEASONAL
Dates: June 22nd – September 4th 2020 (Tentative)
Note: Depending on funding, there may be positions available for May & June as well as Team Leader positions available within BOOM. There may also be opportunities for positions that are portions of the summer only.
Ontario Sailing is a not-for-profit, volunteer organization committed to the promotion and development of all aspects of boating and sailing. Ontario Sailing consists of over 200 member clubs, sailing schools, camps, charters & affiliates who represent over 10,000 member families. Ontario Sailing is the recognized provincial sport governing body responsible for sailing within the province of Ontario, and a member of Sail Canada, the national governing body. This is a responsibility we take seriously! We also take our role as an employer seriously, offering a range of benefits to our staff team.
The Ontario Sailing BOOM Program is a unique sailing school that travels to various locations and offers CANSail 1 and 2 basic sailing courses to youth and in some cases, adults. This program is dedicated to making introductory and grassroots sailing programs more accessible to people across the province, with the intention of building the sailing community.
This position requires a commitment to Ontario Sailing’s mission and values. Given the nature of the position, all offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides Ontario Sailing with a current and satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature & Scope
Ontario Sailing is seeking a Sailing Instructor to join our BOOM & Access BOOM team. Individuals in this role will have hands on responsibility for the smooth operation of the BOOM & Access BOOM programs each day. This position will require a professional team player that is energetic, positive and flexible to accommodate the needs of each BOOM host site.
- Provide safe and engaging sailing instruction to participants of the BOOM and Access BOOM programs at a variety of sailing venues (venue changes weekly).
- Assist in program preparation with duties including but not limited to inventory, testing equipment, packing trailers, etc.
- Transport coach boat and unload boats and equipment on the Sunday before each session starts and pack-up on the Friday of the session.
- Assist with program clean-up at the end of the summer.
- Work productively with other staff and volunteers to deliver high quality experiences.
- Maintain and upgrade as required certifications and qualifications.
- Staff training runs June 22nd to June 26th, 2020 in Hamilton.
- Courses begin the week of June 29th and potentially run until September 4th. Opportunity may exist to instruct stand alone weeks for suitable candidates. Please include your availability in your application.
- Program clean up day is Saturday September 5th in Hamilton.
- Sail Canada Certified Sailing Instructor – CANSail 1/2 is a required minimum.
- Higher CANSail Instructor levels are considered assets for this position.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR.
- Current Boat Safety.
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card.
- G Driver’s License with clean driving record, comfortable driving organization’s trucks with trailers (Training can be provided).
Competencies for Success
Commitment to Service Excellence – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance every individual’s experience.
Initiative – Does the right thing at the right time without being asked.
Teamwork – Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Time Management – Demonstrates ability to get things done effectively and efficiently, which means the right things done at the right time, with the appropriate amount of time spent on them.
Child And Youth Focus – Commit to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Teaching – Effectively convene information and help develop skills in ways that will address a variety of learning styles.
- Base pay is determined by qualifications and experience, which starts at $675.00 per week, in addition to a weekly living allowance ($135/week) and cell phone allowance.
- Extra opportunities may exist for adult evening lessons ($60/night, as scheduled).
- Billeting hosts are provided at each location.
- For drivers 25 years and older with a clean driving record, an extra $25/week is provided.
- Reimbursement for the full cost of any advanced instructor clinic you successfully complete in 2020 (does not include CANSail 1&2 Instructor Clinics or Fundamentals Course), Vulnerable Sector Screening Report, and Sail Canada 2020 Instructor Dues.
- Potential work in May and June assisting with program preparation.
Other Requirements and Conditions
The role requires a moderate amount of physical activity for tasks such as loading and unloading boats and equipment, program preparation and program delivery.
If you are interested in the opportunity to be considered to join our team please submit your cover letter, resume, and availability by Noon Tuesday, December 10, 2019 or until all positions are filled to:
70 Unsworth Dr. Unit 17, Hamilton ON L8W 3K4
We thank all applicants, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. Please note all interviewees will be asked to provide references at their interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. We will work with you to accommodate your needs in line with the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation through the application or interview processes, or any stage of the recruitment process, please contact Ontario Sailing directly at 1-888-672-7245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.