Host Responsibilities & FAQ
Host Responsibilities & Frequently Asked Questions
- As a BOOM mobile host you are responsible for promoting the mobile in your area and registering the participants. Ontario Sailing will provide you with promotional material, and participant registration forms.
- You are responsible for making sure that each participant completes a participant registration form and the completed form is given to the instructors Sunday Evening when you meet with the instructors. This allows the instructors to be aware of any health related issues prior to the start of the program.
- You are responsible for meeting with the instructors on Sunday evening before the program to discuss your site’s expectations for the week. If you have any concerns about the program or the instructors it is important that you communicate with the instructors or contact Ontario Sailing as soon as possible so that the concerns can be resolved.
- You are responsible for organizing volunteers to meet the instructors when they arrive Sunday evening to help the instructors unload their van and trailer, as well as help them load up their van and trailer on Friday afternoon.
- You must arrange for a volunteer to be on site in the morning, and afternoon of each day of the program to supervise participants before and after the programs, in addition, you are encouraged to provide additional on-site supervision to assist the instructors during the day. The program runs from 9 am – 4 pm. On the last day of the program, participants will come off the water by mid afternoon so that they can participate in cleaning up the equipment (taking the boats out of the water, rolling the sails, packing up the dagger boards, rudders and paddles etc.). Handling and storing sailing equipment properly is an important part of learning how to sail.
- You are responsible for arranging an indoor or covered space where instructors or students can go if there is foul weather and they are unable to sail.
- You are responsible for making arrangements for running water and shower facilities to be available for the instructors.
- You are responsible for making sure that the registration limits of 16 participants at one time for regular BOOM, 8 participants at one time for Access BOOM and 8 participants at one time for Adult lessons are not exceeded.
- If possible it is recommended that you make arrangements to have an additional motorboat available that the instructors can use.
- If possible provide living arrangements for the instructors
- Can my club exceed the maximum and register more participants in the program? Even if we provide additional boats?
- Unfortunately, No. In order for us to ensure the highest quality and safest program we must keep our student to teacher ratios low.
- 1:8 for BOOM
- 1:4 for Access BOOM and Adult BOOM
- No, Ontario Sailing provides the instructors with a food allowance, so that the instructors may purchase food. However, they do appreciate the occasional invitation to dinner.
- Ontario Sailing will provide you with some BOOM Posters that you may want post in the community.
- Ontario Sailing will also provide you with BOOM Brochures, which you can distribute.
- You may want to contact your community newspaper, radio station, or television station; often they have a community events section where you can advertise your community event for free.
- You may also want to see if you can post signs in local schools.
- Over the course of the spring you can expect to receive a package via email with information you will need to help you host the mobile (ready to print Posters and Brochures).
- We will send the majority of the information out by email, however, some things like posters we will mail to you.
- If you have any questions throughout the spring as you are planning for the BOOM program, please do no hesitate to email or phone 1-888-672-7245 ext. 226.
- The BOOM instructors will phone you the week before they are scheduled to teach at your site. This is a great opportunity to talk to the instructors about your site’s specific needs or expectations.
- It is your club’s/organization’s decision whether or not to take out extra insurance to host a BOOM mobile.
- The Ontario Sailing BOOM program is fully insured, our equipment is insured, and our instructors are certified and insured by the Canadian Yachting Association.
- Upon your request Ontario Sailing can provide you with a copy of a Certificate of Insurance (after June 1st, 2009) for your records.
For more information email or call 1-888-672-7245 ext 226.