Position: Club General Manager Ottawa/Full Time
Located in Ottawa, Ontario on Lac Deschenes, the Nepean Sailing Club is a family-orientated not for profit club with a strong volunteer culture dedicated to promoting and encouraging active participation by members and the general public in the sport of sailing and recreational boating.
Founded in 1979, the Nepean Sailing Club is one of the largest sailing clubs in Canada with approximately 2000 members, 700 boats and has an annual budget of roughly $2M dollars.
To continually improve and serve the membership, the Nepean Sailing Club is recruiting a Club General Manager to manage operations.
Working with the Board of Directors, the Club General Manager leads the team of core and seasonal staff, manages all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the club, and implements the Strategic Plan while achieving fiscal sustainability.
NSC is seeking an enthusiastic, authentic, and motivating individual who leads by example and is a strong mentor to their teams. With a reputation as a problem solver with excellent communication skills, the successful candidate will work well with a broad group of stakeholders including members, volunteers, guests, employees, community, government, and others within the sailing and boating communities.
The ideal candidate has post secondary education, a minimum ten years progressive experience in a related leadership position, ideally in a not for profit membership-based organization and a strong business acumen including financial oversight. Experience working with a Board of Directors is sought and bilingualism in English and French is an advantage.
General Manager Key Responsibilities
- Ensure that the management of the club is conducted in a manner that is consistent with the Club by-laws, rules and with all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal laws regulations and by-laws.
- Implements the club’s long range and annual operating
- Maintains relations with city, provincial, and national associations that further the causes of the
- Act as the Chief Operating Officer of the
- Provides regular updates to the Board of Directors and the membership through regular
- Ensure the club’s information management procedures and information technology systems are up to date, protected and
- Develop and maintain the club Enterprise Risk Management
- Coordinates development of operating cash and capital budgets according to the applicable budget calendars; monitors monthly budget and other financial
- Monitors compliance with purchasing policies and
- Reviews monthly results and prepares financial reports to the Board of
- Working with accounting, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard
- Understands and manages the fiscal implications of running a not-for-profit
- Accountable for developing and maintaining a professional, safe, and respectful work environment for all staff while encouraging a culture of diversity and inclusion where views and ideas are
- Develops, maintains, and disseminates a management philosophy to guide all club personnel toward optimal operating results, employee morale, and member satisfaction.
- Works with direct reports to schedule, supervise and direct the work of all club Provides advice and recommendations to the Commodore, the Board of Directors, and appropriate committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment, and services not provided in approved plans or budgets.
- Attends industry conferences, workshops, and meetings to keep up to date with current information and developments in the field to enhance his or her value and quality of services to the members.
Competencies for Success
Leadership – The ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization.
Relationship Management – the ability to manage interactions to provide service and to support the organization.
Business Acumen – The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to organization’s strategic plan.
Critical Evaluation – The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendations.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity to join our team, please email your resume and cover letter with subject line “NSC Club General Manager applicant” by noon eastern on Friday, October 8th, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. We will work with you to accommodate your needs in line with the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation through the application or interview processes, or any stage of the recruitment process, please contact us through email@example.com.